I set up a table and gave away boxes which had hungry ghosts in. "Hungry ghosts" would be small and ugly figures but visitors were able to see shadows of them only at the exhibition. I was a person under control of the ghost so I was asking other people to feed them. People had to sign an agreement to look after the ghost. They were not allowed to open the boxes on site as they had to take them home and to feed them well, otherwise they might eat everyone.
"Segaki" (feeding hungry ghost) traditionally is performed in Japan to stop the suffering the "gaki"(hungry ghosts tormented by insatiable hunger, who's spirits are still surrounding in this world.). This is traditionally part of O-Bon, a biggest summer festival to remember the dead. However, due to Western influence, the ceremony is today often held around Halloween and Mexican Day of the Dead, which are similarly devoted to remembrance of the deceased, and through less emphasized in the modern period, the potential placation of their sprits.
Detail of the agreement is below.
Agreement with hungry ghosts
- I will feed ghosts well. Yes / No
- I will treat them well even if they do not speak my language. Yes/ No
- I will respect and accept their different attitudes and personality traits even though I might not personally identify with them. Yes/ No
- I treat them well even if they lose a limb. Yes/ No
- I do not get discouraged at the first sign of apathy or rejection from another human being. Yes/ No
- I have had a failed relationship another human being. Yes/ No
I will email evidence of my care to : firstname.lastname@example.org
I declare that the above information is true and correct.
18 December 2009
Below are people who singed the agreement. Several people have failed and couldn't get the silver box with a ghost.